Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Expensive Hotel NOT in Our Plans

Travis woke up Thursday Night (really early Friday, 3:30 AM) with bad stomach pains. He didn't wake me up because he thought he just had bad gas... but it didn't end up going away and 8:30 AM when he told he didn't feel well I didn't think it was that serious. Well, by 9:30 AM we were loading into the car (no shower for me) to go to Tualatin Kaiser to have some lab work done.

At Kaiser our good friends the Macy's were there too. Nate was having blood work done too, so he helped Travis pass some time. Amy and Derric were upstairs waiting for D's appointment and got to help entertain Isaiah for a few minutes. The lab work found that his white blood cell count was almost double what it should be normally. The doctor was pretty sure he need to have his appendix removed. She sent us to Sunnyside Kaiser -ER!

It was about 1 PM by the time he got checked into his expensive hotel. They told him there were two surgeries ahead of him... a 2 hour and a 1 hour and then he should be next. They estimated surgery around 5 or 6 pm.

Well, anyone who knows me very well knows that I HATE doctors and hospitals. So yes, I was freaking out! My parents drove up to Sunnyside to help with Isaiah and let me figure out what I needed to do. By about 3 PM I couldn't handle much more... with Travis' permission I left to get lunch, go home and shower, and get things that Isaiah would need to spend the night at Nonna and Pop's house. When I left I also knew that Travis' parents were on there way to the hospital and would be there in a couple of hours.

Before I got home Travis called me and told me that they had moved him from the ER into a room (with a TV) so he could wait for surgery. He gave me his direct phone number, which I used to call him a couple of times on Friday (and Saturday for that matter).

By 7 PM I was back up at the hospital (Travis' parents and sister and brother-in-law had been there for a couple of hours) but he had still not gone in for surgery! I hung out with him for a couple of hours... by this point his attitude and morale were going down (but rightly so) and luckily his pain was staying about the same. By 9 PM the surgeon came in and said it would still be another 2 and 1/2 to 3 hour wait for his surgery. NO WAY! The wait was getting ridiculous!

Again, Travis and I decided it was best for me to leave the hospital and get some rest since I would need to be taking care of Isaiah and him tomorrow. He also didn't want me driving home at 2 or 3 AM in the morning. Travis' parents were going to stay and offered to call me when he was out of surgery.

He FINALLY went into surgery around 11:30. Travis' parents called me around 1:20 AM and let me know that he was out of surgery and it went well. I don't remember much of the phone call as I surprisingly was able to sleep that night.

I woke up at 6:15 AM on Saturday morning and called the hospital to find out how Travis was doing, and he was awake so they let me talk to him. He was doing pretty well, all things considered. We decided I would get ready and come see him. I got Isaiah up and fed him a bottle before I left so I was at the hospital by 8 AM.

By about 10 AM we knew Travis was going to be discharged and get to come home. However, nothing at Kaiser goes fast... so it wasn't until 1 PM that we finally were loaded into the car and headed home.

Travis was home by Saturday at 2 PM with a Burgerville Chocolate Milkshake as his first meal. He said it was delicious! He is also on some really strong pain medicine which made (and still makes him) go in and out of sleeping a lot.

My parents brought Isaiah home shortly after we got home. He was having a rough time... I think this was too much for the little guy to hand after only being home for two months. He was really wanting his Mommy and Daddy and to be held. Poor Daddy can't hold his boy for at least 2 weeks and possibly 4 weeks! We pray that recovery goes quickly.

Here are just a couple of photos from Travis' expensive hotel stay this past weekend...
Happy Red, White, and Blue!
Travis and I do a peace sign and say YO a lot to each other. When I got there on Saturday morning he greeted me this way. As crazy as this is... I knew he was doing well!
With the expensive hotel stay you get a complementary pair of hospital socks. Travis thought that was very nice! He didn't end up bringing them home as he was over them by Saturday afternoon.
They also gave him a complimentary breathing device. This is supposed to be used regularly so that surgery patients don't get pneumonia.

Travis seems to be doing pretty well. He was bummed this messed up our 4th of July weekend, but grateful it didn't happen in Korea. We were a little sad Isaiah didn't get to experience fireworks, but we should still have a couple more opportunities this summer.

1 comment:

Aimee said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your "adventure!" Having recently been through our own unexpected expensive hotel stay, I know it's no fun. Travis, hope you're feeling better each day!