Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Esther's Birthday Party (11-16)


Isaiah wasn't home for his 1st birthday, but we still made a cool cake and had a family celebration. Isaiah's first birthday cake was also the start of my tradition of making cool cakes for my kids birthdays with the help of my awesome dad.  My dad and I have made some pretty fun cakes! Esther's first birthday cake idea came from a couple of different cakes I had seen and pinned on Pinterest.  Overall, the cake turned out cute, but if I was going to do it again (but who makes the same birthday cake twice) I might need to make a few changes.

I had bought the supplies before the day of the party, but as we began to make the cake we quickly realized that I would need more Kit Kat candy bars and possibly in a different size than I was originally planning so off to the store my dad and I went.  And later in the cake decorating process we decided we didn't have enough cream cheese frosting so we sent my Aunt Cheryl and cousin Kelsey to the run by the store to get more cream cheese so we could make more frosting.  Oh the ordeals of cake making-ha!
 This was the base layer with the Kit Kat candy bars around it.
We ended up using a lot of candy bars!  Some of the Kit Kat candy bars had to be rejected because there wasn't a good chocolate coating layer on them.
Here is the second layer of the cake... I used raspberry filled M&M's.  They seemed liked the perfect option as they were the right colors I was going for, but in the end they were heavy and pulled away from the cake.  They also melted on the cake and the colors were running down the cake...so sad!
 Here is the cake with the third layer.  
Notice my picture had to be taken in the fridge as the cake was seeming so fragile at this point.
Our beautiful cake for our special one year old!
Esther was so happy on her party day...she was full of smiles as we let her sit next to her cake!



Yes, both kids ended up holding a cupcake candle so we could attempt to get a family photo.








Here is Esther's 1st birthday cake and her mini version to have on her high chair.


Snuggles before we sang Happy Birthday!
She liked it!
Big brother happily blew out the candles!


Esther LOVES raspberries so I wasn't surprised when she went after those first!  She was silly though and seemed cautious about getting the raspberries since they seemed to be stuck in white stuff.








I finally broke off a little piece of cake to see if she would like it...she wasn't really interested.
Ha, another person in my family that doesn't like cake...smart girl!





 And here...she really started exploring and making a grand mess!









Then as the annoying host that I can be... I requested family photos!






Finally Esther got to open some presents!  She got some great gifts...thanks family!

























I can't believe our baby girl is already a year old!  
We love you Esther more and more each day. 

No comments: