Thursday, August 19, 2010

Church Nursery

When Isaiah first came home we got into a great routine of going to church.  We didn't take him to church nursery, but instead let him enjoy the worship/singing time and then he typically feel asleep on me in the carrier for a morning nap during the sermon.

However, eventually (pretty quickly) the morning nap during the sermon stopped happening and he began to want to wiggle much more.  We tried giving him a bottle, feeding him snacks, bringing quiet toys for him to play with during the sermon, but alas either Travis or I seemed to be leaving the sanctuary with Isaiah and hanging out in the parents lounge.  Neither of us loved this new routine.  Thus, we had many discussions about taking Isaiah to church nursery.  How do we know when he is ready?  Will he like it? And many other questions along these lines.

Our consensus was that he was not ready so we took a break from church for several weeks.  We started making Sunday a family day.  We tried to get out of the house and take adventures with Isaiah.  While we loved spending time as a family we were also missing attending church.

This past Sunday we decided Isaiah was ready to try church nursery.  We checked him in when we first got to church, but we kept him in the service for music.  When he started to get squirmy I took him back to the nursery.  I told the couple working in the nursery this was his first time and he has only been home for 3 months.  The couple was super nice and suggested we just hang out for a while. That was my plan anyways so I was glad they made us feel comfortable.  I played with Isaiah and showed him some cool toys.  He seemed to be doing well so I quietly left.  I watched for his number to pop up, but it never did because he did great! 

When we went to get him the couple said he got sad one time, but got better pretty quickly.  He was so into the toys he hardly noticed that Travis and I were there.  I guess our little dude is ready for church nursery.  We were so happy he had a good experience we enjoyed almost a full church service without interruptions.  I hope next week goes well too! 

Daddy and Isaiah after church

No comments: